Home Warranty Advantages and Challenges


Home warranties are a topic I’ve been getting asked about a lot. Here’s a little bit of information about how they work in our area.

Want to sell your home? Get a FREE home value report
Want to buy a home? Search all homes for sale

It’s a beautiful day here in Frisco, so I decided to take a walk on the beach. While I’m here, I also wanted to clear a few things up about home warranties. I’ve been getting a lot of questions about them recently. 

Home warranties are great because they offer you an advantage as a homeowner and potential seller. It protects you from any expensive repairs inside the home. With a warranty, the major systems in your home are covered in the event of a breakdown.

In most cases, getting a home warranty is well worth it.

However, on the southernmost beaches of the Outer Bank, we’re having a real problem getting home warranties serviced. The reason is that these companies will only use their preferred vendors, which come from as far as three hours away. That doesn’t enable homeowners in this area to get quality service in a timely fashion. For that reason, I wouldn’t recommend having a home warranty in either Hatteras Island or Ocracoke unless you plan on selling the home and including it with the sale.

In those areas, I would definitely recommend a pre-listing home inspection. That enables you to get ahead of any problems in the home before buyers see them. Addressing the issues ahead of the sale will bring much more to your bottom line.

In our next series, I’ll expand on inspections a little more and talk about how they differ from appraisals. For now, I’ll just enjoy this morning walk on the beach. If you have any questions for me or my team in the meantime, give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.